Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sassy Shadow

Our lessons have been moved to Tuesday now, which works better for Dom. She's not exhausted by the time she gets to us. She has a crazy day on Wednesdays and then has to come and ride 3 trouble horses. I don't know how she does it!

Yesterday was quite comical, we should have known it would have been an interesting day when Shadow was falling asleep as I was getting him ready. Dom said "Oh Shadow, you are so tired" and I said "yeah, because he has such a rough life" and Shadow proceeded to nod his head yes, as if he really does have such a rough life. Dom and I burst out laughing, What a jerk he is.

Since it gets dark so early and I work so late, I don't get much time, Shadow hasn't been lunged in his side reins for about a week. So we started our lesson there.  They lunged for about 20-25 minutes (or at least that's what it felt like to me). Shadow is holding a very nice consistent trot on the lunge line, but whenever he feels any pressure on his face he lays into his bit so Dom had mentioned a flash band. Well, as soon as Shadow heard that, we never saw him open his mouth again.

He is also holding a very consistent canter on the lunge, which means he is starting to build real horse muscles! I have learned, as Dom told me, which now makes a lot of sense, it is much easier to argue on the lunge line then when on his back. On the ground I can insist on TROT or CANTER and remove the pace completely better than I can on his back. We didn't see too much pacing yesterday on the lunge, nor did we see any lurch. Maybe we are getting somewhere?! :) So going to the right Shadow just wanted to canter away, Dom wanted a trot but Shadow disagreed. He was cantering around us pretty nicely and I said to Dom, he looks like he is going to fall (he was leaning in to the center, not looking so balanced at one point). Dom's response? "Eh, horses fall over sometimes, it's okay". That's not something I expected to hear and I just started laughing, as I said, very interesting day at the barn.

Dom also mentioned as she was lunging Shadow around that I need to get some ground poles so he learns to pick his feet up. Well, this is where Shadow put his fancy pants on. He broke into the NICEST trot. I didn't even know he had it in him. He had his tail up, and he stretching so nicely under himself, in a frame. He was literally prancing, as if he was saying "I'll show you, I don't need any ground poles". Needless to say Dom is now convinced our horses speak English. I myself may have to agree!

Since he was doing so nicely on the lunge, Dom didn't want to waste any time and made me get right up. His trot was so nice. We made it around the ring at least twice in each direction, very minimal lurch and no fast/slow nonsense. It's so nice to finally be over or at least be on top of the mountain I've been try to conquer since I got him. I am starting to feel his potential and feel my doubt slowly start to fade away.

I still worry about his hips/hocks/stifles, but it is too early to tell. It could just be weakness and I won't really know until we get further in his training, but he is not lame by any means. I'm hoping with more work, he will get stronger and it will start to go away. He is 15 I don't expect him to be perfect, especially not with being a retired race horse. If it turns out that I have to get his hocks injected or put him on an additional supplement I will, but I don't really think it is anything that is going to affect his abilities. He doesn't show pain anywhere, so I'm being hopeful! I guess we won't really know until he starts jumping, which won't be until probably next spring/summer at this point. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that my big man builds up all the right muscles and he is just fine.

My lesson ended on a good note, and I walked Shadow up to get him untacked. Dom and I were talking about Dancer (she has asked me to come ride him, which I am very excited about) I told her if I had the money for him and Shadow I would take him in a heart beat. Then I jokingly said "We can switch" and Dom said "well, okay" and Shadow then proceeded to walk away from me and put his head behind Dom's and "snotted" all over her. LOL, that's what he thinks about going home with her I guess. He is such a character.

I have a video of him going, I am going to try and post it, I' not too sure how (lol). According to Dom, this was our worst attempt at it, and I feel like I look like a rag doll up there, between riding in brand new boots, and concentrating so much on him I just kind of hang out up there and pretend I know what I'm doing. (not too pretty!!)



Here's the video, hope it works. 10/8/13


Here is another video from the beginning of September (9/18/13) of him and Dom.
Sorry for my yelling. LOL











No comments:

Post a Comment