Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Moving on

Since spring arrived the thought of winter was weighing heavy on my mind. Now that it's here, I cannot afford to allow Shadow to sit and do nothing all winter long again. It was such a set back, he needs to be in a consistent work schedule.

I finally decided to start looking at new places to board. This is something i never in a million years thought i would do. The thought of taking Shadow out of Bonni's care scares the life out of me. I know i never have to worry or if we need something it will always be taken are of without a second thought, but I just don't know what else to do. The winters are horrible and i just cannot ride outside in the winter in the place we are now. 


I dragged my friend Greer out on Saturday after doing a weeks worth of research and only came up with 4 place to look at. Two in Jackson, one in Allentown and one in Cream Ridge. I am not going to mention any names, but 2 out of 4 were complete nightmares, one was manageable and the fourth one i didn't even bother going because my brain was fried and I was supposed to go the following day. 

I made the decision to go to one of the ones in Jackson. They had a nice big indoor, a nice outdoor, miles and miles of trails and they even had a dressage schooling ring at the back of the property. They're fields were very very very muddy, but there were two that didn't look so bad and the owner was more than willing to make arrangements for me. I was also allowed to bring an outside trainer onto the property with me. I left there feeling confident, but not 100% confident. 

I informed them that I would be coming in on January 1st and then i broke the news to Bonni. I cried having to tell her and even after telling her I had a very deep nervous feeling in my stomach, but i tried to ignore it and tell myself this is what needed to be done and i had to at least give it a try. 

Sunday came and I had the boarding agreement all filled out ready to be dropped off, but then things took a turn. I had remembered a while ago William mentioning to me that one of his friend's girlfriend was 'into horses', whatever that means. lol I happened to see that friend of William's on sunday and we started talking. Turns out, his girlfriend OWNS a property with a large indoor and outdoor,  large barn, hot and cold wash stall and a heated viewing room attached to the indoor.

Sounded almost too good to be true. It is only a few more minutes into Howell from where Shadow and I are now. I contemplated it for a little while, then ended up taking a ride later that day to go see it. It was dark out, but as soon as i walked into the barn it felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders. All of the horses were tucked in happily munching away on there hay and all picked up their heads to greet me. They all looked great, happy, healthy, shiny and fat! 

The more i talked to the owner the better i felt. I took a look at the indoor and the wash stalls, tack and feed areas, hay, etc. Everything looked great. I didn't get to see the property because it was dark, but it turns out that a girl that i grew up riding with boards her mare there. (small world) 

The owner and I finished our conversation and she said she would be in contact with me by the end of the night or next morning about pricing and other specifics. In the mean time i did some of my own research and have heard nothing but wonderful things. The owner and I were in touch by the end of the night and came to an agreement, how exciting! 

I am going back Saturday with Dom and Greer in my presence to take care of all the final paper work, see the field in which shadow will be spending his time and to get verbal approval from the two of them as well as showing Dom where we will be working. 

It really feels like a weight has been lifted. The atmosphere of this barn is very similar to the atmosphere I am in now, and there is nothing better i could ask for. 

I unfortunately had to break ties with the first barn i had decided to go with, but I hope that they can understand my situation, i need to put Shadow somewhere that I can have piece of mind knowing he is being taken care of to my FULL expectations. 


We will be moving in on the morning of January 1st, stay tuned.... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment