Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sunny and 75!

Kind of....


The last two days have been absolutely BEAUTIFUL here, temperature wise. Today was rainy and I had a lot of last minute things to tend to, so no riding.

Saturday on the other hand, I practically ran away to the barn. A little in and out Christmas shopping at the mall with William's sister, lunch and off  I went.

I didn't go out there with very high expectation being that I haven't touched shadow other than feeding him treats in about two weeks, give or take. All the horses were feeling pretty good, galloping around like mad men. (we only have geldings!) I got Shadow together fairly quick and off we went, after I struggled to get my new chaps on for about 10 minutes.

This 30-45 minute ride really reminded me 1. how much I love my standardbred and 2. how much I miss riding in a short sleeve shirt. (hurry up spring)

After sitting for two weeks, it was like we never missed a beat. I skipped lunging because I was just so anxious to get on him (sorry Dom)  His trot was absolutely wonderful after we got some of his stored energy out. Smooth and consistent, and he was responding to my leg fairly well. We practiced leg yields away from the fence and back onto the rail and a lot of inside bend, a little rusty but he figured out what I was asking for.

Normally after working on those things for a half hour or so and his trot is consistent I call it a day, but since I don't know when the weather is going to be nice enough for me to want to go out there again and get up, I decided to try cantering around a bit.

Shadow really surprised me. I asked him once for the transition. and he landed it, NO PACE. So we switched directions and did it again. I was so surprised and so excited I wanted to jump down and squeeze his face!

We just practiced picking up the canter with a smooth transition a few times each direction, and I let him carry it for a few strides and asked for the downward transition back to the trot before he had a chance to think about pacing. We trotted around a little bit more and I called it quits.

I was really so so excited, I needed that ride, it made me feel so much better. The winter months really take a toll on my personality. haha

I had hoped to get out there today, really, but the skies just didn't look promising. I'm hoping that maybe on Christmas morning after all the family events I can get out there and get on for a little bit, that would really make my day!

I know this weekend was nothing but a big tease and we are in for months more of cold and snow, it made me optimistic for the spring to start with a consistent riding schedule again and to get Dom back out for our lessons. I can't wait any longer. ugh!

My Shiny, Handsome boy. <3
Cooling out, My favorite view!







No comments:

Post a Comment