Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Reunited!

Finally, a lesson, after almost a month!!

I have been barely riding, as I said in my last post. On Thanksgiving, I decided to go ride. Shadow had other plans.

The fact that that rain storm and Shadow was in his stall for 48 hours, and the wind, really didn't dawn on me. On top of those two things, Shadow was moved to a new field that morning as well. I ventured out to his new field to get him, and as usual my big gentleman walked back to his stall to get ready to work (or so I thought). I get him onto the cross ties, and he turned into a crazy man. He could not stand still, it took me probably about 40 minutes to tack him up and wrap his front legs because he would not stand. We spent most of the time arguing I'm sure.

I had no intentions of lunging him being that it was a holiday and I had things to do. Al I wanted to do was get up trot around work on some leg yields and go home.  We finally walked out the stall and Shadow was so up, he was practically in my pocket. We took a walk around the barn and waited for him to calm a little before I got on. As I went to put my foot in my stirrup my oh so calm and lovely standardbred started running away from me and crow hopping like a crazy. Okay, we took another walk around and I tried again. Nope, not happening.

I proceeded to go to the barn and get my side reins and lunge line, a safer alternative them me falling. I get him on the lunge and he takes off like a maniac, pulling me around grunting and galloping, bucking, snorting. Wait, where is standardbred? He finally stopped and started pawing at the ground, and then off he went again. By that time I had a better handle on it and just stood there and let him get his energy out rather than being pulled around like a rag doll the way I was the first time. haha Once he calmed himself and gave me a nice collected trot both directions, I took him off the lunge and tried to get on. SUCCESS. I got on, walked two circles and got off. End on a good note, right? Atleast I got on.


Saturday, some lunging (like a normal horse) and about 30 minutes of trotting. Still a little up and a little spooky, but he was still adjusting to being in a new part of the farm, so I expected nothing less.

LESSON DAY!!!!

Finally got some Dom time back in my life, between the weather and me having to cancel and Dom having to cancel because poor mike had to get surgery on his hand, we have't been able to get ourselves together.

After 10 minutes of catching up like we haven't seen each other in years, it was off to work. Lack of riding really showed a little in the beginning for my poor boy and to top it off his feet are over due and have become his worst enemy yet again.

His canter is getting more consistent and his trot is pretty well where we want it, on and off the lunge.

Dom started working him in small circles at the canter and he was getting pretty upset, between the ground being soft and slippery, his feet defeating him, and the small circle he didn't know what to do with himself.

Dom rode him, and couldn't believe how up he was for her either. I had forewarned her before she got on him that he has been a little crazy compared to his normal. lol He is doing lovely with his trot as I said, we have also discovered he is afraid of the dressage whip, which we will be working with, as well as some more ground work with picking up his shoulders and turning. She worked on leg yields for bending instead of using her hands, which is something I need to do from the ground as well as on his back. It's amazing to see the improvements he has made, but I get so impatient. Winter is really slowing me down, and I'll probably complain about this until spring is finally here again.

Dom cantered him, which seemed really really nice and consistent going to the right with a nice transition in both directions, but the left is still not there yet.

We have alot of work ahead of us, and I am trying to learn to be patient ever step of the way, I mean, we have already conquered the trot. Almost there, right?

It was getting kind of dark, so I didnt get much video/pictures, but I did get a quick video of him cantering on the lunge. He is a mess, which is why we started the small circles, he is pretty much rushing around and not bending all that well, but we'll get there, I swear. I'm very confident in Dom, and thankful to have her in my corner.



No comments:

Post a Comment