Thursday, January 8, 2015

Breakfast

When Shadow lived at Bonni's, he was on a set feeding schedule of 7:00 am and 3:00 pm with his supplements in his night feeding.

With our move came a hiccup in his routine. He now eat between 8:30-9:30 in the morning and between 6:30-7:30 at night, with supplements in the morning. No biggie, he will just have to adjust.

I have noticed that he is not eating all of his morning grain since we have gotten there. He is still on the same food, the same out, the same supplements, just getting them at a different time.

While they do not eat until later, they come in right before the sun goes down, so around 4-4:30 and they are given a flake of hay to munch on until dinner time.

I was there for them to come in the other night so I helped the barn owner bring him and his pasture mate in and as soon as i let shadow into his stall, he dove his head into his bucket and finished what had left from the morning.

Then yesterday morning i noticed he had left about half of his morning feeding in his bucket.

He is still eating, everything, just on his own terms. I dont know if this is his way of adjusting, as if he is saving himself a "snack" because he knows he isnt going to get fed as soon as he comes in from outside or if it something else.

I am not really worried too much because like i said he is still eating, just not like he used to. He never left anything behind, ever.

I am going to give him another week to see if it lessens or stops, and if not i may switch his supplements back to PM and see if that has anything to do with it.

Any advise from anyone?


Also, what is everyone's take on Bran Mash? I have read so many articles some say yes do it and some say no don't. I have always given it to my past horses, but never to shadow and now with all the reading I have done, I am a little torn on the subject.

Thanks for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment