Friday, September 27, 2013

Blast from the past

Today I guess I decided to do a little exploring, with the help of the Standardbred Performance Society, that is.

They recently added me to the group so I decided to extend my thanks and post a picture of Shadow and give a little introduction. This turned out to be an all day conversation between fellow standardbred owners.

I got some racing information, which I had already know, as I mentioned in our about me. It was a lot cooler to actually see it on paper, and again getting to see his blood lines, birthday, etc. I found out the park where he raced his last race in Indiana at age 2, and also photographer information in hopes of getting some pictures.

With the help of Jess, we have emailed and left messages for her, so hopefully she will get back to me, I would absolutely LOVE to have race photos of him. With a little more research we found information on the people who had him as a baby. So I proceeded to make the call, well actually Jackie who I work with called because I was too nervous. The man who owned him, named Dwayne Pletcher, who is now 82, was able to get on the phone. First we spoke with his wife, and she remembered Shadow, but couldn't tell us anything. Maybe she didn't really have much involvement in the horses?

She put Mr. Pletcher on, but he couldn't hear well, and I listened close as Mrs. Pletcher said " she wants to know about You Got It, the horse we had long ago" and I heard him reply " I don't remember the horse", he is older, so that was to be expected. His wife came back on the phone to tell us that unfortunately he does not remember him. Jackie, thinking quickly, saw that I had written down another number, she asked Mrs. Pletcher if that was another one of her numbers and she said no, and she gave her another number and said that is my son. Jackie asked if her son would remember him and she replied with yes, he probably raised him!

Jackie then called their son, who didn't answer, she left a message. About 20 minutes or so later, my cell phone rang and it was him! (I'm literally so excited, if you cannot tell.) Jackie asked if he remembered, and thankfully he did. He couldn't give us much, but the little bit he did give was enough to make me smile from ear to ear.

He told Jackie he was very successful for them, but he was CRAZY. He said he was a lot to train and had to be tranquilized several times during his training because he was too much for them to handle (hard to believe because he is the biggest love on the planet). He said they got him started at 2 (as I mentioned already) and said he was a very successful horse for them. Making the 10 starts and winning 6, bringing in exactly $62,749.00 for them. He only raced that year, he said in the fall of his 2 year old life, someone from the east bought him. Ready for this? They purchased him for $90,000.00. WOW. Never saw that coming.

He said after he was sold, he never raced. There was no reason not to race him, but they didn't. He said the last he heard from them he was training very well, they just never put him back on the track, but hey, I'm okay with that.

He asked us how he was doing, and if he was over his craziness, and what he was doing now. He was very please to hear that he is a hunter/jumper prospect and wished me the best of luck with him and said he was a very good looking horse, which made me really feel good, knowing that he has known Shadow since he  was a little babe!

The plus side of all this for me? Shadow was NEVER injured in his racing career, I needed to hear that. That worry is now checked off my list.

Even though this is barely anything, it was more than I had and I absolutely loved hearing it, I am like a little kid. Literally filled with excitement!







My $90,000 man, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment